About John Masters
A Niagara Falls, New York native with a natural talent for cutting and coloring hair, John began his career in the 70‘s at top salons in Miami and Manhattan. In the 80‘s, he settled permanently in New York City where his reputation as a styling talent continued to grow in the fashion and beauty industries. Meanwhile, John became increasingly fascinated with organics and realized the serious health risks posed by inhaling and handling harsh salon chemicals every day. Leaving the established salon industry behind, he started working with ammonia-free hair color and began seeing clients in his own apartment. It was here, in 1991, that he created his first organic-based hair care product, the Dry Hair Nourishment and Defrizzer. With that small step, an enterprise was born.
In 1994, John opened the first clean-air salon in the world, in SoHo New York, where only ammonia-free hair color is used and no toxic perms, hairspray or nail services are allowed. Shortly thereafter, John completed work on his full line of paraben-free organic hair and skin care products. John Masters Organics currently has over 40 skin, hair and body care products. The line has gained the devoted support of eco- and animal-conscious celebrities, including Rachel McAdams, Erika Christensen, Rosario Dawson, Josh Duhamel, Kristin Davis, Liev Schreiber, Zooey Deschanel, Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Alicia Silverstone and Thandie Newton.
Caring about yourself and caring about the earth don’t have to be mutually exclusive. John Masters Organics grew out of my desire to create a luxury beauty line that treats the earth with respect. We only get one body and we only get one planet. Why not treat them both with the utmost care? I don’t want to work with chemicals and synthetics every day, and I truly believe that when given the option, others feel the same. Why use synthetics when natural products work better and are safer for the environment? This labor of love has yielded over 40 sumptuous products and it gives me great pleasure to share this super natural beauty with you.”
WHY JOHN MASTERS ORGANICS?
All ingredients and products must meet John’s strict guidelines:
1. All products must be made with 70-100% organic content
2. No sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, DEAs, MEAs, or TEAs
3. No GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism)
4. No animal testing
5. No artificial colors, fragrances or fillers
6. All plant extracts and essential oils must be certified organic whenever possible
7. All essential oils used must be steam-distilled and not extracted with propylene glycol – which kills the effect of the oils
8. All plant oils must be cold pressed, not heat distilled – which kills the therapeutic properties of plant oils
9. All ingredients must be proven to be beneficial to the hair or skin
10. All ingredients must be harvested in an environmentally-friendly manner (wild- crafted)
11. All ingredients must be biodegradable if possible